Do you feel uneasy with the growth of inequality and lack of compassion in society? Do you think the state should be caring and should prioritise the needs of the marginalised in a fast changing world? Do you think research should contribute to social change? If your answers to the above questions is yes, then you should consider applying for work with the Sankaran Research Unit (SRU) at Centre for Equity Studies (CES), as we look to add a highly motivated and industrious person to the research unit.
About the Job:
The candidate for the position of senior researcher will be required to assist with the ongoing projects at the Centre on themes of Labour, Communal Violence, Manual Scavenging and creative expression of Constitutional values. The candidate will also be tasked with contributing towards the production of the India Exclusion Report, the Centre’s annual publication. Additionally, the candidate will work with other team members to draft funding proposals and assist with the organising of regular CES events.
1. Candidate should have a Master’s degree in the social sciences and a demonstrated grasp of debates around political economy of development and Indian politics. Candidates without formal training in the social sciences will be considered if they have prior experience conducting research on these themes or of working in the development sector.
2. Candidate should have excellent writing skills in English. Proficiency in any other Indian language is a plus.
3. Preference will be given to candidates who have at least a minimum of 2 years of work experience, preferably in research.
4. Candidate must be prepared to travel outside Delhi, often to remote locations, to conduct primary research
5. Candidate should be a team player and work collaboratively, sharing tasks with others in the team.
6. Candidate should be passionate about social justice and willing to work beyond the strict employee brief to advance the agenda of progressive social change.
Between INR 28,000 – 45,000, based on academic qualification and work-experience, as per the CES pay scale.
The initial contract is for a period of 1 (one) year, subject to 3 (three) months probation period, assessment of performance and availability of resources.
How to apply?
Please send in your application to email@example.com by 21st June 2019 mentioning the job code – “Senior Researcher” in the subject line.
If shortlisted, we will contact you within 1 week of applying. Please do not wait for the last date to apply as we will conduct interviews as and when we receive suitable applications.
Please send a cover letter, your CV and a relevant writing sample of 1500-2000 words and the names and addresses of two referees, including telephone, and email address.